IDT Reports Fiscal First Quarter 2010 Results
Strength in Computing and Communications Drives Revenue above High End of Projections
SAN JOSE, Calif., July 28, 2009 — IDT® (Integrated Device Technology, Inc.; NASDAQ: IDTI), a leading provider of essential mixed signal semiconductor solutions that enrich the digital media experience, today announced results for the fiscal first quarter ended June 28, 2009.
“Our fiscal first quarter 2009 top- and bottom-line results were above the high end of our prior projections provided on April 30, 2009,” said Dr. Ted Tewksbury, president and CEO of IDT. “We were pleased to record eight percent sequential revenue growth driven by increased demand for products serving our computing and communications end markets, while we reduced inventory on our balance sheet and in the channel. In addition, our recent cost cutting measures allowed us to deliver better-than-expected earnings for the quarter despite a less favorable product mix.”
Recently, IDT announced:
· The closing of the Tundra® Semiconductor Corporation acquisition
· The purchase of touch sensor technology assets from Leadis Technology
· The signing of a co-development agreement with Micron Technology for enterprise flash controllers
· The world’s first PCI Express® (PCIe®) Gen2 switches integrating a temperature sensor and IDT Power Smart technology to provide system thermal management while providing high performance, line rate and throughput
· A new family of timing and power management ICs for DisplayPortTM-based notebook LCD panels, including the industry’s first DisplayPort-based timing controller with integrated digital LED backlight driver
· The IDT PanelPort™ ViewXpand™ controller — The world’s first DisplayPort-based controller that provides complete plug-and-play, high-definition multi-monitor capability without the need for additional graphics cards
· The IDT HQV® Vida™ processor — The third generation Hollywood Quality Video® processor providing real-time clean up of low-quality compressed video to fully enrich the consumers viewing experience
· The FemtoClock Next Generation (NG) family of clock synthesizers, featuring ultra-low phase noise and significantly improved power-supply noise rejection
· VersaClock III programmable clock generators, which are specifically optimized for use in high-performance consumer, telecommunications, networking and data communications applications
The following highlights the Company’s financial performance on both a GAAP and non-GAAP basis. The GAAP results include certain costs, charges, gains and losses in accordance with GAAP which are excluded from non-GAAP results based on management’s determination that they are not directly reflective of on-going operations. Non-GAAP results are not in accordance with GAAP and may not be comparable to non-GAAP information provided by other companies. Non-GAAP information should be considered a supplement to, and not a substitute for, financial statements prepared in accordance with GAAP. A complete reconciliation of GAAP to non-GAAP results is attached to this press release.
· Revenue for the fiscal first quarter of 2010 was $116.0 million, compared with $188.2 million reported in the same period one year ago.
· GAAP net loss for the fiscal first quarter of 2010 was $14.1 million or a loss of $0.09 per diluted share, versus GAAP net income of $9.2 million or approximately $0.05 per diluted share in the same period one year ago. Fiscal first quarter 2010 GAAP results include $5.2 million in amortization of intangibles, $4.3 million of stock-based compensation, $3.6 million in acquisition-related costs, $2.0 million asset impairment charge, and $1.5 million of severance-related expense.
· Non-GAAP net income for the fiscal first quarter of 2010 was $3.5 million or $0.02 per diluted share, compared with non-GAAP net income of $39.2 million or $0.23 per diluted share reported in the same period one year ago.
· GAAP gross profit for the fiscal first quarter of 2010 was $47.2 million, compared with GAAP gross profit of $84.5 million in the same period one year ago. Non-GAAP gross profit for the fiscal first quarter of 2010 was $53.8 million, compared with non-GAAP gross profit of $100.7 million reported in the same period one year ago.
· GAAP R&D expense for the fiscal first quarter of 2010 was $36.3 million, compared with GAAP R&D expense of $43.6 million in the same period one year ago. Non-GAAP R&D expense for the fiscal first quarter of 2010 was $32.6 million, compared with non-GAAP R&D expense of $38.4 million in the same period one year ago.
· GAAP SG&A expense for the fiscal first quarter of 2010 was $25.4 million, compared with GAAP SG&A expense of $33.0 million in the same period one year ago. Non-GAAP SG&A expense for the fiscal first quarter of 2010 was $19.2 million, compared with non-GAAP SG&A expense of $24.5 million in the same period one year ago.
Webcast and Conference Call Information
Investors can listen to a live or replay webcast of the Company’s quarterly financial conference call at http://www.IDT.com. The live webcast will begin at 1:30 p.m. Pacific time on July 28, 2009. The webcast replay will be available after 5:00 p.m. Pacific time on July 28, 2009.
Investors can also listen to the live call at 1:30 p.m. Pacific time on July 28, 2009 by calling (800) 230-1085 or (612) 332-0107. The conference call replay will be available after 5:00 p.m. Pacific time on July 28, 2009 through 11:59 p.m. Pacific time on August 4, 2009 at (800) 475-6701 or (320) 365-3844. The access code is 107115.
With the goal of continuously improving the digital media experience, IDT integrates its fundamental semiconductor heritage with essential innovation, developing and delivering low-power, mixed signal solutions that solve customer problems. Headquartered in San Jose, Calif., IDT has design, manufacturing and sales facilities throughout the world. IDT stock is traded on the NASDAQ Global Select Stock Market® under the symbol “IDTI”. Additional information about IDT is accessible at www.IDT.com.
Forward Looking Statements
Investors are cautioned that forward-looking statements in this release, including but not limited to statements regarding demand for Company products, customer ordering patterns, channel inventory, anticipated trends in Company sales, expenses and profits, and macroeconomic conditions involve a number of risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from current expectations. Risks include, but are not limited to, global business and economic conditions, fluctuations in product demand, manufacturing capacity and costs, inventory management, competition, pricing, patent and other intellectual property rights of third parties, timely development and introduction of new products and manufacturing processes, dependence on one or more customers for a significant portion of sales, successful integration of acquired businesses and technology, availability of capital, cash flow and other risk factors detailed in the Company’s Securities and Exchange Commission filings. The Company urges investors to review in detail the risks and uncertainties in the Company’s Securities and Exchange Commission filings, including but not limited to the Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended March 29, 2009. All forward-looking statements are made as of the date of this release and the Company disclaims any duty to update such statements.
The Company presents non-GAAP financial measures because the financial community uses non-GAAP results in its analysis and comparison of historical results and projections of the Company’s future operating results. These non-GAAP results exclude impairment charges, acquisition-related charges, share-based compensation expense and certain other expenses and benefits. Management uses these non-GAAP measures to manage and assess the profitability of the business. These non-GAAP results are also consistent with another way management internally analyzes IDT’s results and may be useful. The Company has reconciled such non-GAAP results to the most directly comparable GAAP financial measures in the financial tables at the end of this press release.
Reference to these non-GAAP results should be considered in addition to results that are prepared under current accounting standards, but should not be considered a substitute for results that are presented in accordance with GAAP. It should also be noted that IDT’s non-GAAP information may be different from the non-GAAP information provided by other companies.
IDT, Hollywood Quality Video, HQV, PanelPort, Tundra, Vida, ViewXpand and the IDT logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Integrated Device Technology, Inc. All other brands, product names and marks are or may be trademarks or registered trademarks used to identify products or services of their respective owners.