Mercury Ensemble MTI-203
The Ensemble™ MTI-203 RapidIO® DSP/FPGA Signal and Video Processing AdvancedMC™ Card from Mercury Computer Systems is an ideal solution for developing and deploying LTE, WiMAX, nextgeneration video, or base-station applications.
With three TCI6482 DSPs and a supporting Xilinx® FPGA node, the module enables all the physical layer (PHY) baseband processing required for a 20-MHz, TDD (time division duplex), multi-antenna solution with Smart Antenna MIMO (multiple input/output) enabled. As a baseband development platform, the MTI-203 is designed to support advanced features such as Smart Antenna and MIMO transmission across a variety of air interfaces.
WiMAX is an evolving standard (802.16x) for point-to-multipoint wireless networking. It can provide high-throughput connections over long-distance applications, including high-speed enterprise connectivity for businesses. The highly integrated MTI-203 module is designed to support the Texas Instrument (TI) WiMAX/802.16e infrastructure solution for wireless applications, which includes software, analog, and RF products from TI.
Combined DSP and FPGA Technology
At the heart of the MTI-203 are three Texas Instruments TMS320TCI6482 DSPs, running at 850 MHz each, and a Xilinx Virtex™-4 FX100 FPGA with dual integrated Power Architecture™ cores, running at 400 MHz. Combining DSPs and an FPGA on the same AMC module offers developers the ability to partition their applications using the most appropriate processing technology.
Flexible, High-Performance I/O InterfacesFlexible, High-Performance I/O Interfaces
The MTI-203 module communicates with the rest of the AdvancedTCA system via two 4x RapidIO fat pipes for data exchange and two 1-Gigabit Ethernet ports for configuration and control. The fat pipe from the FX100 FPGA is configurable as either a 4x serial RapidIO link or a 10-Gigabit Ethernet port. The second fat pipe, which is from the Tsi578™ switch, is a 4x serial RapidIO link. Total peak bandwidth is 13.125 Gbps.
Ensemble AdvancedTCA PlatformEnsemble AdvancedTCA Platform
The MTI-203 AMC expands the capabilities of the Ensemble family of blades and AMC modules to support highly integrated DSP/FPGA applications. The Ensemble Platform is a standards based solution built around the power, functionality, and scalability of serial RapidIO, AdvancedTCA, and AMC. The platform supports a variety of I/O sources and heterogeneous processing, thereby reducing integration costs, improving efficiency, and minimizing risks in design of next-generation applications.
The Ensemble Platform has many advantages that accelerate application development activities:
- The variety of heterogeneous Ensemble AMCs allows developers to customize applications with options to plug in host processors,radio cards, or a network interface card (NIC) AMC.
- AMCs can be combined with Ensemble carrier boards that provide RapidIO chip-to-chip and across-the-chassis connectivity, enabling seamless scaling from a single-sector system to multi-sector, multi-antenna, multi-carrier base-station implementations.
- Ensemble offers developers the flexibility to easily expand specific processing nodes to address application performance bottlenecks; additional FPGA or DSP modules over RapidIO can be used to support specific application requirements.
- The homogeneous RapidIO interconnect among processing nodes enables ease of programming of DSPs, communication processors, and FPGAs.
For more information about the Mercury Ensemble MTI-203, see www.mc.com
Digital Signal Processors
- Three TI TMS320TCI6482 DSPs, 850 MHz
- Serial RapidIO interfaces, 1.25 Gb, 2.5 Gb, or 3.125 Gbps
- JTAG/emulation support
- 2-wire EEPROM support
- McBSP bus support
- Code compatible with the TMS320C6455
- RGMII Gigabit Ethernet supported on DSP_A and DSP_B
- EMIF_A path from DSP_C to the FPGA
- EMIF_A path from DSP_B to the FPGA SelectMAP to support reconfiguration
- Xilinx Virtex-4 FX100 (compatible with Xilinx Virtex-4 FX60)
- Reconfigurable from Xilinx platform flash (XCF32P)
- LVDS bus support
- One 4x serial RapidIO interface to RapidIO switch
- One 4x serial RapidIO/10-Gigabit Ethernet interface to AMC connector
- DDRII 250-MHz SDRAM per DSP 64 MB
- 16-bit DDRII interface
- Flash (DSP_A) 16 MB
- IDT Tsi578 8-port RapidIO switch
- 1.25, 2.5, and 3.125 Gbps support
- FX100 FPGA performs Gigabit Ethernet PHY functions between AMC Ports 0 and 1 and DSP_A and DSP_B, respectively.
- Hitachi® HD64F2166 IPMI controller
- Voltage monitor
- Geographical address monitor
- Temperature monitors
- Power/reset control
- DSP and RapidIO switch
- EEPROM interfaces
- FPGA and CFG CPLD interfaces
- Dual 10/100/1000 Ethernet (Ports 0-1)
- 4x RapidIO (Ports 4-7)
- 4x RapidIO or 10-Gigabit Ethernet port (Ports 8-11)
- IPMB-A and IPMB-B link
- Per AMC.0 LEDs on front panel:
- Out of service: Red
- User LED2: Green
- User LED3: Yellow
- Hot swap: Blue
- DSP LED for each DSP
- Two FPGA LEDs
- FPGA LVDS connector
- JTAG debug connector
- Reset push-button
Test and Development
- 14-pin front-panel JTAG/emulator/programming connector for DSPs and IPMI
- 14-pin non-front-panel JTAG/emulator/programming connector for Xilinx FPGA and platform flash
- Four AMC-specified LEDs
- Eight user-defined LEDs
- Linux® variant 2.6 kernel 32- and 36-bit mode
- Full- or mid-height AMC, single-width AMC
- Width: 28.96 mm
- Depth: 208.53 mm
- Height: 73.81 mm Supports AMC B+ bays
- Operating: 0°C to 45°C at 10,000 ft
- Storage: -40°C to +85°C
- Operating 10-90% non-condensing
- Vibration 0.003g2/Hz, 20-2000 Hz, 1 hr/axis
- Shock x and y axes: 32g; z axis: 20g; 11 ms, half-sine
- 12V payload 30W typical 40W max
- 3.3V management 0.25W typical 0.5W max
- AMC.0 Rev 2.0 compliant
- Hot swap support